Sunday 31 March 2013

I Landed My Double, So What Of It.....

"A blind man, in a dark room, looking for a black cat, that aint there".....that's how each and every one of the poor (no laughing at the back) Towcester bookies must have appeared after the DRUBBING they got from yours truly, along with every other sane punter within hailing distance of this lovely track on an oh so rare day, we, the asute form students, most DEFINITELY won.....

I had a plan, a certain plan, it couldn't fail, it was all SOOOOO simple (read my previous blog: Thinger Licht-ing Good) I was going to LUMP on my two MASSIVE bankers, put them in a double, then put some cream on the cake with an improving 6 y/o, and tinker around the other 3 races....


So it started with my nap of naps, my golden shot, my Frankel of the jumps, my, my, my...WAAAAAIT!!!!!!!....why has it drifted from 6/4 > 11/4?!?!?!?!?...Stay focused, stay focused, now, do what ANY punter worth his salt does in this situation...DOUBLE YOUR BET, which I did, putting a near 80% of the days TOTAL bankroll on the shoulders of this tiny French 4 y/o, to say he couldn't jump with the biggest understatement since it got suggested that Mike Tyson should go to anger management classes, but hey, look, I KNOW it was easter Sunday, but that did NOT give my nag the god given right to bloody BUNNY HOP nearly EVERY BLOODY HURDLE!!!!!  I won't lie, it was tense for the first half, then, it was plain to see the outcome at the two pole, when young Josh Hamer (7) glanced right at R Johnson SHOVELLING away on the non-staying celtic Abbey (lay of the day!) then kicked our lad in the belly and of he took, and how, put six lengths between himself and the field in a second on the ground I KNEW he's adore, he still had 3 easy lengths to spare at line, a case of well and truly job done, and the masterplan was up and running.


The next three races came and passed with minimal financial interest, I thought the old lad Top Benefit was in with a squeak at the foot of the hill, only to flatten out and stay on for a no more than deserved gallant 4th.

So along came the 410pm, a race I had a strong opinion about, only in as much that it represented one of, if not THE best each way bet to nothing seen so far this year, the market was thus:

9/4 Master Todd
5/2 Mister Bricolage
4/1 Count Guido Deiro
15/2 Bar


The top two in the market were rated 108 and 110, and I just COULDN'T see either of them winning in the ground, all the others from Fiddlesticks (backed from 10/1 > 15/2) downwards were COMPLETE no-hopers in my book, which left the lightly raced, unexposed, potential improving 6 y/o Count Guido Deiro.  This was where my financial muscles were flexed for the second time, a meaty e/w bet struck at a now bewildered bookie at 9/2.  Partnered by Sam Twiston Davies, he always had him in the van, and obviously knew he had the horse under him, so one by one the challengers dropped away until he was approaching the last, tailing Fergal Mael Duin, his final challenger...he kicked on and the race was won, but hey!!!...what's this?..the jolly old fav staging a late rattle up the rail....but our let kept on resolutely, and I was now starting, owing largely to the bulge of notes, to walk with a limp.....

So 2 down and 1 to go....I wrote at length in previous blog about the STANDOUT chances of  What Of It in the hunters chase, with my ONLY worry being Stand Royal, so you can imagine my utter, utter delight when a) The danger was a non-runner, and b) my lad was STILL trading at 7/4....I had to rub my eyes at the price, so much so the missus just got a "hold these" (my Guiness and Gloves) as I darted off to unload an ALMIGHTY bet on my lad before it vanished, once again the bookie looked at me with a mixture of begrudging respect, and PURE hatred, "Sticks and stones may break my bones", but SOD IT, i'm with BUPA!!  I just COULD NOT see this lad getting beat, there was nowt to touch in the race and only a mildly game front runner by the name of Swallows Delight to pick up in the latter stages.  So What Of It and Swallows delight raced hand in hand (hoof in hoof?!?!?) for the entire race, with only Rules débutante Citzens Arrest flattering to deceive 2 out, and the stage was set for the almost painfully predictable finale, I knew Swallows Delight would battle back, but I ALSO knew my lad, loved mud, and stayed further, so after the last Mr T D Ward (7) kicked him on, and from that point, as a contest, it was over.

I just stood in content, happy, muffled elation at my days, nay weekend work, my missus, who has enough in the old nugget to row in with me in her financially minimalistic way, even ended up a bullseye, and as for me, well there may well have been enough monkeys to fill a 4 seater car....

The last had a shorty in the much depleted bumper which duly scraped home at 10/11 after Dickie Johnson had been riding the ears off of it for the last half mile, not, I repeat NOT my kind of bet, by the time he belatedly crossed the line, we were safely in the 4x4, halfway home to our leafy village, exchanging stories to each other about the races we just saw.....

So, what started yesterday morning at 7:55am (the Morning Line) with solid hopes and informed form choices, has ended with a whole host of winners, a 33/1 winner the Lincoln, a 11/4 Nap & 7/4 n.b and a near 10/1 advised double, not to mention I only missed out on the Lincoln forecast by what appeared to be the width of a VERY thin piece of fag paper, but ho-hum, greed is not in my nature, but winning most definitely is!!!!

I don't have a massively strong opinion about tomorrows racing, as i've learnt to take it easy the day after a LARGE weekend, but you could do worse than have a few shillings on:


2:20pm Warwick: Intense Feeling


With any luck he'll go off around the 6/4 mark (trading 2.48 on Betfair as we speak), and is value in my eyes, one of only 2 i the field with experience (which is VITAL at Warwick) and chased home the super-smart W.G.M Turner trained early season 2 y/o "Mick's Yer Man" on Saturday, and this represents a sizeable drop in class, well that's it from me, time for bed, the mattress is going to be AWFULLY bumpy with all that cash under it.....



Be Lucky!!!


£££PlacePotter£££









No comments:

Post a Comment