Saturday 23 March 2013

Snow, Frost, and Ironic "All Weather Racing"

So waking up this morning I has aspirations of well and truly filling my betting boots with all the high drawn numbers at Donny (soft ground = MAJOR advantage at Donny) with my e/w lucky 15 all written out with no nag shorter than 16/1....alas, I got to work, strolled the Laddy's early morning to discover, to my HORROR only Southwell (pronounced suv-ill or south-well depending if you are Simon Mapletoft or not) remained, i'm not say I disapprove of the all weather, but when "all weather" meetings get called off/abandoned, it leave a sour taste of irony is one's mouth.....

But I forged ahead, securing the winner in the opener (3 runner affiar with a bad bad BAD 4/7 M Johnson fav backed off the boards) with the 6/4 secon fav, then had the 1-2 in the second, my so-called "banker" in my placepot "Man of my Word" ran in the 3rd, and showed up well in the market around 9/2, but, unfortunately for me, he decided to run with as much athleticism as an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping, he didn't finish last, he finished 9th, of 10....placepot over for another day....

I had a few quid on Dubai Hills who I had a GAZILLION miles ahead of the handicapper and only had Frontier Flight to beat, who he did, convincingly, but "Docofthebay" a grand old 9 year old servant for the Dixons, rated 103 in his pomp, gave the 6/4 jolly an ALMIGHTY fright, going tooth 'n' nail all the way down the seemingly never ending Suv-ill straight, but it was a case of job done...

A case of "Mission Accomplished" was well and truly the case in the next with the admirably average all weather stalwart "Mataajir" was freely available at 3/1 in the morning, then around 9/4 early afternoon, already 3lb well in, it was announced that a jockey change would all be happening, claiming a further 7lb off the nag...he was duly SMASHED into 6/4 upon the news and won in style....he appeared to have a strong chance in what, on paper looked a perfectly winnable race, but  if you go back to early December 2011, you will see he hammered a field of 13 in a Southwell, Class 6, 7 Furlong race at the juicy price of 20/1, and had never run this course/distance since, so, for me, he was a 1/3 shot, well hello baby, i'll just take that candy, there's a good lad....

A pointless 2/7 jolly won his equally pointless race then Putin did the biz at 11/2 in the finale, flooring the uneasy, guessy, weak fav by a couple of lengths, in the process getting my treble up of Mataajir, Pointless 2/7 fav and Putin...so it paid for the day with a couple of cherries to put on my gluten free cake...

So it's dinner time (Lamb Tagine, oh yeah, it's posh down our way!!)  and then it'll be time to tuck into pud, pud being tomorrows racing homework where it looks like, again, Lingfield will be the saviour, and in the 4 runner opener, "Noverre to Go" has literally TWO STONE and upwards in hand on his 3 rivals, and rates a 1/5 shot in my book, but is currently trading at 1.9 (10/11) on Betfair.....if you own a pair of boots, FILL THEM, (I recommend size 12's) I reckon he'll go off around the 4/6 or 4/7 mark and simply CANNOT see him getting touched...

Anyhow, thanks for reading, if indeed you are, and yes, yes, the "Sprinter Sacre Rating Fiasco Rant" will be forthcoming, i'm just brining it nicely to the boil in the old nugget.....


Be Lucky!!!


£££PlacePotter£££

No comments:

Post a Comment